Thursday 17 February 2011

Workshop 1

We were lucky enough to have Richard Sweeney come in and give us a workshop surrounding his paper designs. I never knew you could actually be so creative with paper folding, his work is unbelievable.

The first workshop was really all about an introduction into what richard does, we were given a5 sheets of paper and asked to experiment with cutting and folding, we were not allowed to use any form of fixative. This was a lot trickier than it first sounded as we could only join using slits in the paper.
I struggled with this part as i couldn't picture how or what I could form.

Richard next showed us some simple techniques to try, I enjoyed this a lot more.
I cut the paper in equal strips and then fixed it together using slits in the paper. This was so fiddly! It took ages to get it to stay in one place. Experimenting with this technique reminded me a lot of the formation of shells. I definitely think this is an area I would like to experiment with further.

I created a quick background using a2 paper and snapped some pictures of my outcomes.


I took photos at different angles to emphasise the curves and lines of the paper

 This design in particular reminded me of a sea shel



No comments:

Post a Comment